Super Fund ABN Lookup tool user guide
You can use the search box at the top of every page or the
to search Super Fund Lookup one record at a time. However, if you have multiple searches, the Super Fund ABN Lookup tool may assist.
The Super Fund ABN Lookup tool allows you to easily and efficiently do multiple searches on Super Fund Lookup using the Australian Business Number (ABN).
Instead of manually entering the ABN every time you want to check the details of a fund, you can enter the ABN of all the funds you deal with into the tool.
From that point onwards, you can retrieve the latest details from Super Fund Lookup with the press of a button.
For the technically minded, the tool has been developed using the Super Fund Lookup web Services.
- Microsoft Excel 2010 or higher with macros enabled. Please refer to the product documentation to find out how to enable macros for your version of Excel.
- To use the Super Fund ABN Lookup tool you must be connected to the internet
Downloading the tool
To download and start using the tool, simply agree to the
terms and conditions for access to the tools download page.
If you download the tool from the Super Fund Lookup web site, you need to save and open the tool using Excel rather than opening it from within the browser.
Running the tool from within the browser may generate a Run Time Error.
Launching the Super Fund ABN Lookup tool
From the saved location, open the tool using Excel.
Macros must be enabled for the tool to work. Depending on the version of Excel and your macro security settings,
you may need to enable macros when you first open the tool. Please refer to the product documentation for more information
on enabling macros for your version of Excel.
Using the tool
For demonstration purposes the tool is pre-populated with the ABNs for a number of government superannuation funds.
To add ABNs, simply replace the contents of Column A (ABN), with your own list.
The format of the ABN entered does not matter as the tool will recognise an ABN with spaces (e.g. 11 635 839 852) as well as an ABN without spaces (e.g. 11635839852).
NOTE: When entering ABNs into Column A, do not leave any empty rows as the lookup process terminates at the first empty row.
Click the Start Lookup button located at the top of the SuperFundLookup worksheet. The SFL Lookup dialogue box will appear.
Provided you are connected to the internet, when you click the Lookup Fund details button, a request is sent to Super Fund Lookup for each ABN listed in Column A.
The current details are returned and used to populate the spreadsheet. The process can be halted at any time by clicking the Cancel button.
Search results explained
Information about each fund is recorded in the Super Fund Lookup worksheet as described below:
Super Fund Lookup worksheet
- Australian Business Number
- Current ABN status and the date of effect
- Cancelled ABNs are highlighted in red
- For APRA regulated funds, the postal address is retrieved directly from APRA
- For all other funds, the postal address is retrieved from Super Fund Lookup
- For APRA regulated funds, the complying status is retrieved directly from APRA
- For all other funds, the complying status is retrieved from Super Fund Lookup
- For APRA regulated funds, fund type is retrieved directly from APRA
- For all other funds, fund type is retrieved from Super Fund Lookup
- The date the ABN details were last updated in Super Fund Lookup from the ATO.
- Enter N into this column to skip the ABN during the lookup process.
- Indicates whether information about the ABN stored in the spreadsheet has changed since the last time you ran it
- Values are No change or Updated
- Link to the record on the Super Fund Lookup web site
- Date and time the ABN information in the worksheet was extracted from Super Fund Lookup
The column labelled Update status (Column P) displays No change or Updated to indicate whether the ABN information held in the spreadsheet has changed since the last time you ran the lookup.
The text colour of updated cells is blue.
Printing fund details
To print fund details, use the Form view and print button to view a printable version of each record in the spreadsheet.
Run time error
The Super Fund ABN Lookup tool has been developed using Microsoft Excel. Whilst you can open Excel spreadsheets from within the browser window,
the functionality required to be able to run the tool may not be available. If you attempt to run the lookup process from within the browser,
Run Time Errors may be generated. Depending on how your machine is configured, these Run Time Errors will include Error '91' or Error '9'.
Whilst other errors are possible, these are the most common.
In order to run the tool, save the file then open and run the spreadsheet from the saved location using Excel.
The Super Fund ABN Lookup tool contains macros. The macros must be enabled for the tool to work correctly.
Please refer to the product documentation to find out how to enable macros for your version of Excel.
Error connecting to the internet
To use the Super Fund ABN Lookup tool you must be connected to the internet and your firewall configured to allow Excel to access the internet.
Top of page